Sunday 8 December 2013

In my Last week!

Well time is just flying past. This is last full week here and it will be busy.

Last week was very busy I went to three home festivals in the early evening so Bidhan and Saraswati ran the classes for me, as Sanjay along with the other class 10 students had a maths tutorial for their board exams.

We had three very happy girls on Saturday, Anita, Manju and Parbati recieved the results of their mock exams and all have passed so go on to take their Board Exams in February.

On Wednesday morning I visited St Michaels School, Durgapur, and visited some of the classes of the younger children, 45 in a class at Nursery, Kindegarten (UK Reception and Year 1) and above that about 60 per class. It gave me an insight as to how they are taught and how I can help them better with their homework. Some of the classes recited rhymes they had learnt and often with actions. In one class where three of the hostel children are I taught a song.

On Thursday morning I went to St Michaels Raniganj, both the schools run by the Diocese. This one much smaller branch school and there they young classes were working together to prepare for their Christmas presentation so I watched their rehearsals and they sang me some songs and I taught them "My God is so big".

Four girls are opening the programme with singing "A ray of hope flickers in the dark" and I was asked to help them to improve their performance so I worked with them for about half an hour. Then in zero hour after tiffin break many more practices were going on, an English drama, a Bengali drama and a Hindi drama. The guitars were out and the keyboard and also dance the place was a hive of activity. A very enjoyable morning.

The afternoons have been rehearsing the Christmas nativity and other songs for the DCSDC Christmas programme this Saturday all 85 children involved and I have written and am directing it with the help of the other teachers.

Yesterday I was surprised in the Cathedral service, I had 19 musicians playing and we had a visiting Bishop of Nagpur and about 20 members of his team with us, our Bishop was also there, I preached and just before the last hymn I was presented with a wonderful flower arrangement and beautiful sari as a Thank You for I have done. I am there next Sunday but it is the Dedication of the Lay Readers in the morning and the Candlelight Carol service followed by dinner in the Evening, so plenty more to prepare for.

The flowers and sari presented to me.

Below one or two photos of rehearsal of the nativity last week.


Getting into final positions, it will be an outside production next to the cathedral and all the parents will come as well as Diocesan workers.


Me directing and playing from the keyboard with some of my musicians alongside me.


Some of the little girls singing Mary had a baby.

Looking forward to it especially when they all have their costumes on. It is all being done in English too with 5 narrators and all songs sung in English, so especially the little ones have had to work had to sing in English and put actions to it.

Well time to do some more work, two services to prepare for next Sunday and nine while I'm away.


No comments:

Post a Comment