Tuesday 28 January 2014

29th January

Time is just flying. It is very busy here.

Sunday was Republic Day so we had the hoisting of the flag and prayers at 7.00 am. and a special sweet.


Father Sam is explaining about Republic Day, this was the 65th Repbulic Day since theys adopted their own Constitution in 1950, even though they became independent in 1947. I needed to learn this in advance, so had looked it up on the web, as I was preaching on Sunday in the Cathedral and the theme was "Prayer for our country"

The special sweets being handed out.

Last Thursday was the Inter Sports meet with all 6 children's centres coming to St Michaels School Ground.

The children of Durgapur giving a Taekwondo demonstration.


The children from the different centres lined up for the March Past.
I had rehearsed the opening dance with the Children and I was also called on to do the Opening Prayer. I then had the job of putting the medals on trays ready for presentation and was also called on to present three sets.

All the children then went back to the compound and the hostel area and were given lunch before they returned to their homes, for some it is three hours travelling each way so they were given breakfast when they arrived, a bread roll, banana and sweet.

I have already arranged 16 pieces of music for the children since I came back. It is a very busy 10 days or so. Yesterday The National Ecumenical Youth Assembly 2014 opened with a service here, about 800 youth are staying in the school. I knew we were to play at the service but until 24 hours before I had not been told what. So Monday 2.00 p.m. I am told, I arranged the music and and the children practised three new hymns they did not know. Luckily I did know them and we were ready for a service at 2.00 p.m.

 So here we are practising and ready. The Procession was to leave St Michaels School at 1.30 and arrive at the Cathedral for 2.00 p.m. - they eventually got there to start at 4.00 p.m.!!
So they had a long practice of other music as well as we waited.

The girls were then dancing a classical Indian welcome dance at the next programme which they wanted to start more or less on time, having run 2 hours late so they had to change and be made up quickly.

They all did a fantastic job both playing and dancing - I'd also been supervising practices of that in the evenings.

Their final pose of the dance, I have videoed it for them as they requested.

I ended up on the front row so had a good view.

Well lunch time now - more soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment