Sunday 17 March 2013

18th March

Hi, it really has been a busy week.

Last Tuesday evening I went to 'Mainland China' - I know you thought I was in India. Only took 10-15 minutes to get there. It's a Chinese restaurant in the Junction Mall - a shiny glitzy shopping mall that could be anywhere in the world once you stepped into it.I went to dinner with the Bishop, the Rector of the church schools and the 6 American guests that were here. It was a very good meal and a change from the Indian meals here. It was a reminder to me that although most of the time I see the poverty of the slums and the lower and middle class places there is a wealthy side to India and that the church needs to relate to all parts of society here.

Before we went I had organised with the children a short entertainment programme, this time as well as dancing and singing, which has been the main part of their usual short programmes, we had violins and recorders. The older violins played 'This is the day' in two part harmony and the middle group of 8 players performed for the first time and they played 'Oh when the Saints'. The recorder payers, those that had played before and are relearning played 'Twinkle twinkle little star". I have another completely new recorder group now and some of the older ones have started to learn chords on the guitar. I ended up playing four different instruments as I accompanied songs with guitar and keyboard as well.

At present as well as the younger children being off school the older girls - except one- are also off school on a short break so only about  of the children going to school. So a lot of my morning is spent playing educational games with them.

They did moan at me this morning though , "Miss, it is three whole days since you last played a game with us"
So I have spent the morning playing games - it is bath time now so am free for a few minutes.

Why I had not been with them much was there was a healing prayer conference happening here and I was invited to attend. There were 150 people here from around the Diocese. I didn't get to all of it as I had to do teaching. The sessions in English, translated into Bangla, I understood, the sessions in Bangla - not much but did have some English notes. But two or three from here helped me when we worked in small groups. They also pushed me forward and a mic put in my hand and told to sing, so I sang 'Father God, I wonder' as that was the song that came to mind and fitted with the session we had just done. Later that day I took guitar back with me and taught it to them all - and they really enjoyed it. A few asked for the words so they could sing it back in their churches. It was also good to do something different and be able to sit in God's presence sometimes just praying or being still during some of the talks. It is great being with the children but they only have one volume setting - LOUD.so the quiet and stillness and also the sharing in prayer was good and the worship singing was also good.Every session started and ended with Prayer and Praise.

Sunday morning Prayer and Praise was a little more formal - a short service - and the older violinists - played the three hymns - they had 20 hours notice. They played 'Morning has broken', 'Holy, holy, holy' and 'All to Jesus I surrender' and did very well - they received much praise and people were astonished at there progress since the Thanksgiving weekend. They did insist on an extra practice on Saturday evening so played until 9.30p.m. Their repertoire is growing rapidly, it includes 'Thine be the glory', 'O Sacred head sore wounded', 'Alleluia, alleluia give thanks to the risen Lord', 'Were you there when they crucified my Lord', Be still and know that I am God', but they have to continue to work hard as Good Friday and Easter is the end of next week.

Yesterday is the first time in a long time that I have played my musical instruments with pain free hands. Last Tuesday as we got back from the restaurant and were out of the cars, I was saying goodbye to them as they were leaving in the morning they took my right hand and said they would pray for it. They did and I have had no pain in it since. My left hand has been having pain off and on for a while so at the weekend that was prayed for and now both are pain free. Praise God.

I have also discovered that there is music shop just a few minutes away where we can get violin strings - which is useful as I am out of A and E strings so one member of staff will cycle there.

I will get photos of the Leprosy Mission and the slums in Bankura I visited up but at present the extension lead that allows me to plug my English plug of the computer in has vanished - so hopefully I will chase it up and then I can work here in the Library with both computers and get the photos from my camera to here via laptop.

No comments:

Post a Comment