Thursday 7 February 2013

Thanksgiving weekend part 3

Sunday was the day of the big Thanksgiving service for the Diocese. Coaches from all over the area were arriving from 4.00 a.m. onwards. The drummers from the different tribes were practising from before 5.00 a.m.!! But I was up then as I had to get ready to be dressed in my sari at 6.00a.m. Then it was time to tune the violins and take them to  St Micheals School Sports field where an enormous marquee had been set up to have the service, which was attended by 3-4000 people and three languages used - English, Bangla and Hindi.

Having got everything ready there, it was back to the compound to get ready. We were sat on chairs and had our feet washed and then time to form u the procession.

 All the clergy from around gathering and lining up ready.
The Bishop and visiting clergy from around the world gathering, and as you can see it is all still be filmed and documented.

The procession started off with three different dancing groups from different tribes, followed by all the clergy, then the two chapters of the Order of the  Daughters of the King and the Order of St Luke then I was at the start of the international guests then followed by everyone else.

So this is the front of the procession as we are on the road and the three colourful sets of dancers at the front.

So all the ladies here immediately in front of me as we go out the gate with the clergy in front. As we went round the corner all the children from the hostel were waiting, the older in their black and white outfits.


Here they are and as I passed them they all joined the procession immediately behind me, it felt good having them with me. On this picture you can also see the Bishop's Mitre as he was at the back of the clergy.

The procession took about 45 minutes from the compound into the school gates, and they are side by side, and everyone was seated.

 This is the front of the marquee where the main people sat and the service was led from. I'm sat on the front so I can get out twice to help lead music. Yes, the keyboard you can see is there for me to play as I was playing and singing with the Daughters of the King - "These are the days of Elijah", hence I had to wear a sari to be like them, I was still different as they had identical saris. Foolishly I put my camera down on the little table you can see at the bottom right of the picture and then this picture is on it!

 So I do still exist if anyone of you were wondering!!I sang and played with the ladies you can see a few rows back in their creammy  coloured saris. and to the left you can see my violinist ready.

They played fantastically well during the offertory, Kum Ba Yah (in three parts) and Amazing Grace (in two arts - with a change of key in the middle).People were amazed at their playing especially those who had heard them Friday and they played different music each time. They really worked well and stepped up to the challenge. Sandra has been trying to convince people that I have only been here since the beginning of January. She keeps saying "I left Ruth at Heathrow airport on the 2nd January 2013!!" They think they have been playing much longer. But maybe that is because we do at least an hour every day and at weekends they have practised longer. There are some photos of them playing and I will try and get them. It was the first time I had played violin wearing a sari too.!

So the service started about 9.10 and finished by 11.45a.m. It was great singing  hymns in different languages at the same time, the white order of services were for English speaking people and the Pink for Bangla, so readings were only done in one language but you could read it in your booklet as it was happening.St Michaels School choir also sang a couple of modern Christian songs.



Many different members of the clergy took part, the celebrant was Rev Mary Perrin from USA and Rev Nick Oborski preached and that was the only part of the service that was translated, and the translator was the same one that had translated for Billy Graham when he was here.


Communion happened surprisingly quickly with so many people, there were eight stations across the front and it just ran smoothly. You could tell they had done it before. The bread was dipped in the wine so that does help.


It was a wonderful morning of celebrating God's love and work here. I don't normally snap pictures during a service but as I was sat at the front and could just use my camera on my lap I did, because it would be difficult to remember the wonderful colourful occasion and share it with others without.

The occasion was followed by refreshments, as usual were segregated from the majority and then everyone was fed lunch before they dispersed back across this enormous Diocese.

The afternoon was a time of relaxation for everyone after a busy weekend. The youngsters as usual, still full of life were playing on the courtyard, some watching TV film as they often do Sunday afternoon, and I sat in the courtyard with some of the ladies knitting prayer shawls. (I'm in the picture again!)


And then by Tuesday I had finished my prayer shawl.
I have now started another. It is relaxing knitting at the end of the day as I pray, meditate and reflect on the day and God's word.

Today as I sit here writing this it is raining!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment